TechnologieRegion Karlsruhe TechnologieRegion Karlsruhe

Have you graduated from university in your home country and now you want to work in Germany? There are two ways you can check whether your university qualification is recognized in Germany. In this section, we will explain both alternatives. 


As a rule, foreign university qualifications can only be recognized in Germany if they were obtained at a state or state-approved institution. The anabin database of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) allows you to check whether the university in your home country is also state-approved in Germany. 


You can apply for a certificate assessment. A certificate assessment is an official document from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) which describes foreign university qualifications and certifies them for professional and academic use. Certificate assessments by ZAB are intended to give you access to the German labor market with a foreign university qualification. 


A certificate assessment is only a comparative evaluation, not a recognition.

Application procedure for a certificate assessment 

You can fill out an online application form to apply for a certificate assessment by the ZAB.

  • Complete the application form on your PC and return it to the ZAB online. If you want to have more than one university qualification assessed, download a separate application form for each qualification. 
  • Then print the application and send it to the Central Office for Foreign Education in Bonn with the required documents.

At a glance 

  • A certificate assessment clears your path into the German labor market.
  • However, certificate assessment is NOT the same as recognition of the certificate.
  • You cannot work in regulated professions in Germany unless your university qualification/degree has been officially recognized.

Costs of certificate evaluation for a foreign university qualification: 

  • 200 Euros to issue a (first) certificate
  • 100 Euros to issue every further certificate, if you want to have multiple qualifications assessed
  • 100 Euros to have a certificate re-issued (e.g. if lost)
  • The fees shall not be waived under any circumstances.
  • The responsible authority for certificate assessment is the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

Recognition for medical practitioners

Recognition of medical qualifications is regulated at a Federal State level and therefore varies by state. As practicing medicine is one of the regulated professions in Germany, foreign physicians who want to work in Karlsruhe TechnologyRegion must apply for a license to practice medicine. In Baden-Wuerttemberg, Department 95 of the State Assessment Office for Medicine and Pharmacy of Stuttgart Regional Council is responsible. 

The Department, which is also the medical licensing authority in Baden-Wuerttemberg, issues medical licenses to EU citizens after completion of the above-mentioned education. That gives them comprehensive professional approval for the corresponding work throughout Germany. Other foreign citizens with the appropriate qualifications can also receive a professional license valid for Baden-Wuerttemberg, which is generally restricted to certain specializations.

As described above in the Recognition of foreign qualifications section, you should first have your qualification assessed for equivalence by the responsible licensing authority. The equivalence assessment and the evaluation of professional experience are assessed individually by the responsible authority. The decision notification you receive informs you what you have to do next. As these are complex assessments of individual cases, we advise you to contact the responsible authority directly.


Evidence of general German language skills equivalent to Level B2 in accordance with the European reference framework, and occupation-specific language skills equivalent to Level C1 must be provided. The responsible recognition authority in Baden-Wuerttemberg accepts language tests from recognized language institutes.


Overview of the required documents 

Zentralstelle für
ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB)
Postfach 2240
D - 53012 Bonn
Tel.: +49 (0)228 501 664


Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin und Pharmazie; Approbationswesen
Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart
Nordbahnhofstr. 135
D - 70191 Stuttgart
Tel. +49 (0)711 9043 5000