TechnologieRegion Karlsruhe TechnologieRegion Karlsruhe


TRK welcomes young people from other countries to come and study in the region. This section provides information on what you must bear in mind if you want to work while studying here. If you intend to study at a college in Baden-Wuerttemberg, this section has information and tips specifically for you.

Information on the university environment and conditions for studying in Baden-Wuerttemberg is available at the "Studieninfoportal", the information portal for students provided by the Baden-Wuerttemberg Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts. Information on English-language programs is available in the "StudyGuide".

Admission to German universities

For admission to German universities, foreign applicants require

  • a verification of an education equivalent to the German general,
  • subject-specific university admission qualifications or
  • the admission qualifications for universities of applied sciences (college admission qualification).

If your certificates are not from a European Union (EU) country, their equivalence must first be assessed.Students from the EU, including Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein, must apply for university either directly at the respective institution or to the Foundation for University Admissions, just like German applicants.

Foreign students may also take up an internship. This introduces them to the working environment in Germany, and enables them to learn and form networks which could help them find employment later. If you are required to do a compulsory internship as part of your degree program, you should seek advice from experienced students, lecturers or your student council. They can give you tips on finding internships, and on which internships make sense for your subject area.


The following applies for degree-program specific internships:

  • You must be enrolled at a university.
  • You must be between 18 and 35 years old.
  • There must be a direct relationship between the content of your internship and your degree program.
  • The internship must not last more than six months.

Internships at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)

The objective of the KIT MINTernship-Programme is to attract top MINT students from English-speaking countries like Canada, Singapur and the United States as skilled professionals for Germany. In cooperation with partner universities in the Region the programme offers internships directly at the KIT or in other companies in Baden-Wuerttemberg for up to six months. The internships are advertised at the KIT website.


Interested companies can contact Dr. Kai Rebensburg, Telephone: +49 (0)721 608 44918,



Helpful Links

Further information is available from the DAAD and the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK), which offers a portal to help you find internship placements.

Are you enrolled at a German university, and want to work part-time as an academic assistant, (called Hiwi), in research institutes, in the library or as service staff in a restaurant or hotel, or as a babysitter? Students from other countries can also work part-time while they study in Germany. Like German students, students from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester. In the term breaks, they can work as much as they want.


Foreign students from non-EU or non-EEA countries are entitled to work part-time

  •  for up to 120 days per year (or, alternatively 240 half-days) per calendar year and
  •  as student assistants.

The Immigration Authorities will note this on your residence permit.

For further information, see the website of the Student Services Germany Deutsches Studentenwerk.



Do not start work until you have a permit. The conditions for foreign students are very strict. If you violate the regulations, you could even be deported. 

Student Advisory Service

The German Trade Union Youth (DGB-Jugend) advisory site students at work (s@w),
offers comprehensive information on employment law topics like wages, leave, termination, employment contracts, validity of collective labor agreements and all social law matters pertaining to health and pension insurance.