TechnologieRegion Karlsruhe TechnologieRegion Karlsruhe

Are you enrolled at a German university, and want to work part-time as an academic assistant, (called Hiwi), in research institutes, in the library or as service staff in a restaurant or hotel, or as a babysitter? Students from other countries can also work part-time while they study in Germany. Like German students, students from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester. In the term breaks, they can work as much as they want.


Foreign students from non-EU or non-EEA countries are entitled to work part-time

  •  for up to 120 days per year (or, alternatively 240 half-days) per calendar year and
  •  as student assistants.

The Immigration Authorities will note this on your residence permit.

For further information, see the website of the Student Services Germany Deutsches Studentenwerk.



Do not start work until you have a permit. The conditions for foreign students are very strict. If you violate the regulations, you could even be deported. 

Student Advisory Service

The German Trade Union Youth (DGB-Jugend) advisory site students at work (s@w),
offers comprehensive information on employment law topics like wages, leave, termination, employment contracts, validity of collective labor agreements and all social law matters pertaining to health and pension insurance.